Treating depression is not necessarily a walk in the park. There are times when all the medication fails to treat depression. In case you are facing this challenge, don’t give up. There are depression programs to treat this condition even after medicine fails to fix the problem.
Alternative Treatments for Depression
While depression can be managed through psychiatric or psychotherapy treatments alone, there are some other new and innovative approaches that can replace traditional treatment methods. And the good thing is, these approaches come with fewer side effects than conventional antidepressants. The two treatments approaches are Spravato treatment and non-invasive, FDA-approved Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.
How Spravato Treatment Works
Spravato is used as anesthesia during surgery, and it contains antidepressant properties. Spravato contains esketamine, a drug that triggers the production of glutamate in the brain. Glutamate, in turn, prompts the brain to form new neural connections.
The net effect of this production is that the brain becomes more capable of creating new pathways. It is these new pathways that give the patient the ability to develop more positive thoughts and behavior. This outcome is not possible when you use antidepressant therapy alone.
Some positive facts about this depression program include:
- Lately, Spravato has become a viable alternative treatment for chronic pain as well as psychiatric disorders such as bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder (MDD), and post-traumatic stress disorder (PSTD).
- This treatment is administered as a nasal spray.
- Many patients have found relief when using this method to treat depression when other methods fail to deliver the desired results.
- This treatment is administered in an outpatient setting so, you don’t have to be hospitalized.
- Spravato treatment is given in a REMS certified treatment facility.
- This depression program is administered when other antidepressants fail to improve depression or bipolar symptoms.
- The effects of this treatment can last for days or weeks.
- Spavaro is not administered to children. So, in the case of a child, other forms of non-medication treatment for depression are recommended.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)
This is the second type of non-medication treatment for depression. TMS is an effective and safe treatment for this condition. This treatment can be used solo, or in combination with other depression treatment protocols.
How TMS Works
This depression program delivers non-invasive MRI strength pulses to your forehead. The purpose of this action is to the root cause of mood disorders that include depression. These causes of mood disorders are thought to be the result of a disconnect of your brain’s messaging system.
Unlike medication that treats the symptoms of depression, TMS stimulates the actual neurons and directly targets your brain’s networks.
In simple terms, if you are suffering from depression, the electrical activity in certain parts of the brain is reduced. During treatment, an electromagnetic coil is placed gently against the scalp of your forehead. The treatment targets these areas to awaken these cells, thus, increasing your brain’s activity back to normal levels.
The process is painless and works effectively in regulating mood control and depression. TMS treatment is administered in an outpatient setting.
Where to Get Non-medication Treatment for Depression
While numerous facilities offer non-medication treatment for depression, it’s always advisable to get these services from a proven and reliable mental health facility. The mental health experts in such an institution have the knowledge, skills, and experience to safely and effectively administer these kinds of treatment.
When you seek a depression program from the best facility, you’ll be getting the services of a leading facility in offering high-quality outpatient behavioral health services.
If you have tried medication to treat depression without success, contact professionals offering non-medication depression programs.